Thursday, January 31, 2008

Graphic Storytelling

I mentioned before that I have lately been interest with cartoons. Particularly pen and ink ones. Political cartons and such.

One of my sons goes to Portland State University and he is taking a course on short stories. The text book is "The Sory and it's Writer", by Ann Charter. In this book, toward the end is a chapter on Graphic Storytelling.

In this, she mentions a few artist and so I thought I would share them and some of their work:
Scott McCloud-"Understanding Comics"
Will Eisner-"Comics and Sequential Art"
Art Spiegelman-"Maus; A Survivors Tale"
Gilbert Hernandez-"Heartbreak Soup"
Keiji Nakazawa-"Barefoot Gen: A Story of Hiroshima"
Jiro Taniguchi-"The Walking Man"
Marjane Satrapi-"Persepolis"
R. Crumb's take on Kafka's "A Hunger Artist"

Marjane Satrapi was here in Portland last week, so I checked out her two books, "Persepolis" and "Persepolis 2" from the library. They were quite easy to read and frankly I don't think there is any other venue that a person like me, A 57 year old American would be able to consider the thoughts of an Iranian woman. That is to say that i found them interesting.

Here is a link to a radio interview done on comunity radio (KBOO) here in Portland.

Persepolis director Marjane Satrapi interview on KBOO, 1/22/2008.

No comments: